Saturday, December 29, 2007

RIF and RIP

In my quest to read I have finally started a book- The Kite Runner. I am reading it because my cousin told me "It is the best book I have ever read.". It is disturbingly interesting, and frustrating to read in snippets, but I am enjoying get lost in the book. I usually do not read books that are being turned into movies because I can't stand the hype, but I know I won't ever get a chance to see this movie in a theatre any time soon.


I also have been trying to read the weekend news papers as I feel I am sadly uninformed about local, national and international news. I was really happy to read the Sun. NYTimes magazine about people who passed on this year. The people (and animals) they are highlighting are surprisingly not celebrities. It is refreshing to read about people who have made their mark for actually doing remarkable things such as:
soldiers speaking out against the US Iraqi war machine
a sportsman suffering loss with dignity
reporters who reported the truth and not fact sheets from the government
a brilliant black blogger who lived in quiet anonymity
heroic intelligent women who decided to be something other than follow traditional norms
animals who taught humans about communication
and many others whose passing would have gone on unnoticed by most of us even though they all left and indelible mark on humanity.

I suppose a really awesome blogger would set up links to all these people. I guess you'll have to find them on your own as I have to get the kids to clean up and turn off that damn tv bc we certainly broke the American Academy of Pediatrics 2 hour limit today.

No comments: