Sunday, November 26, 2006

Yoko Ono's Appeal for PEACE

I read this today, while looking at my newspaper. It is not an advertisement you would normally read in the NY TIMES. Yoko Ono wrote this in a full page ad that appeared in Sunday's New York Times Week in Review section. It is an appeal for peace. I was so moved by the ad.

This Thanksgiving my mother had to remind us to give thanks for all the men and women serving in the armed forces fighting and dying. I think Yoko's appeal for peace is a much more beautiful and moving statement.

"December 8th is near again. Every year on this day, I hear from people all over the world who remember my husband John Lennon and his message of peace. They write to tell me they are thinking of John on this day and how he was shot and killed at the prime of his life, at age 40, when he had so much ahead of him.

To the people who have lost loved ones without cause: Forgive us for having been unable to stop the tragedy. We pray for the wounds to heal.

To the soldiers of all countries and all centuries, who were maimed for life or who lost their lives: forgive us our misjudgments and what happened as a result of them.

To the people who have been abused and tortured: forgive us for having allowed it to happen.

As the widow of one who was killed by an act of violence, I don't know if I am ready yet to forgive the one who pulled the trigger. I am sure all victims of violent crimes feel as I do. But healing is what is needed now. Let's heal the wounds together.

With deepest love, Yoko Ono Lennon, New York City 2006."


info courtesy of:

DNA WORLD

cbc.ca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this - I need to read the NYT more